Go Ahead: Be a Stick In the Mud

I watched the Super Bowl last night with my bride and, at times, my kids. They came and went as it held their interest, and I spent the second half contemplating why we consume this (or why it consumes us) year after year.

The game was exciting to the finish, marred at the end by an odd play call that sealed the victory for the Patriots, followed by a borderline brawl as the Seahawks saw the championship slipping away. But the halftime show and commercials were what really sparked my thinking. Unlike past years, last night there were only a couple of commercials that made me happy the younger kids had already gone downstairs to play -- unfortunately, one was a movie promo, which means not only will we be seeing it for months, but there's a feature-length version somewhere. The halftime show, on the other hand, once again had me talking to my three teens about what's wrong with the world. It was a short, pointed conversation, since halfway through the performance, my eldest went downstairs to practice his bass and the other two voiced their agreement with my rant and tuned out (from the show, and likely me, as well).


I try to stay somewhat familiar with popular music to know what my kids are exposed to, so I watched the whole thing. Afterward I watched Facebook to see what friends, family, and the general public thought. As expected, opinion was polarized between fans of Katy Perry and Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot (the female rapper who joined Perry onstage) and people who don't like their styles of music. But I was struck by the number of comments in the middle -- people offering some variation on the theme, "At least this year it was kid-friendly."

Really?

Call me a prude if you wish, but Perry's lyrics, antics, and outfits are not kid-friendly. Consider just the songs we heard last night: "This was never the way I planned, not my intention. I got so brave, drink in hand, lost my discretion. It's not what I'm used to, just wanna try you on. I'm curious for you, caught my attention" (I Kissed a Girl). Or "We drove to Cali and got drunk on the beach. Got a motel and built a fort out of sheets. ... Let you put your hands on me in my skin-tight jeans. Be your teenage dream tonight" (Teenage Dream).

Of course, these pale in comparison to Missy Elliot's Work It lyrics, which I will not post here. Elliot's verbal dexterity is such that I couldn't make out most of what she said last night, but I'd like to assume that her halftime rendering of her hit song was substantially edited to even make it on the broadcast.

"Well, it could have been worse...at least she was fully clothed and not dancing suggestively, like in years past."

Modesty comes in many forms, but crouching like an animal in a minidress, snarling, "I kissed a girl and I liked it!" is not one of them. And as I shared with the teenage boys I spoke to at the church on Wednesday, "It could be worse" is a pretty low bar.

Perry's performance was only relatively kid-friendly, as compared to shows in years past -- and that underscores the problem with relativism. This is how we lose the practice, or even the recognition, of virtue: by allowing ourselves to slip so far down the slope that a half-step back toward the top seems like innocence regained. And the entertainment industry knows their target market well. They don't care if a 40-year-old dad enjoys the show -- they want to hook my offspring, and in that respect, it's probably better if I don't like it. The gleaming space lion, the cutesy cartoon beach sequence, and the sandwiching of Perry's more provocative songs between hits Roar and Firework, which even turn up in grade-school music concerts -- the whole production is meant to keep the kids in the room.

Folks, like it or not, they are selling sex to your children -- and not the life-giving kind. Last night's post from the Practical Catholic Junto blog summarizes my concerns in two brief quotes:
It reaches the extremes of its destructive and eradicating power when it builds itself a world according to its own image and likeness: when it surrounds itself with the restlessness of a perpetual moving picture of meaningless shows, and with the literally deafening noise of impressions and sensations breathlessly rushing past the windows of the senses.  ...

Only the combination of the intemperateness of lustfulness with the lazy inertia incapable of generating anger is the sign of complete and virtually hopeless degeneration. It appears whenever a caste, a people, or a whole civilization is ripe for its decline and fall.

-- from Josef Pieper's The Four Cardinal Virtues
When we say, "It could have been worse," we are too comfortable. We have lost the capacity for righteous anger that could set the world straight. We're giving in.

Late yesterday morning, I was talking to one of our deacons, who was shaking his head at the fact that families might skip religion classes to get an early start on the Super Bowl extravaganza. "I'm an old stick-in-the-mud," he said, half-apologetically. "I'm not watching any of it. Not the game. Not the commercials. None of it."

I suppose I'm becoming a stick in the mud, too. But perhaps such sticks will be the only thing people can grab onto to slow our descent.

Next year, I think we'll watch Groundhog Day instead.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,