Full of Grace

Annunciation by Paolo de Matteis (1712)
Yesterday was a rare treat: a three-sacrament day. I went to work, then to Confession at lunch time, received a pre-surgery Anointing of the Sick late in the afternoon, then went to evening Mass to receive the Eucharist. Never have I felt so full of grace -- and today is the Feast of the Annunciation. Providential?

Then I came home -- late, because I was tying up loose ends to be out of the office for awhile. The family had already eaten supper, but we still managed to spend some quality time together before bed. They've got Dad's back with prayers today, as do countless other friends and family members, and a few acquaintances I just barely know. I'm a little embarrassed by the support, but I will never refuse prayers. We are blessed to have such love in our home, in our parish, and in our extended families.


Hernia surgery is supposed to be a pretty routine thing, for the surgeons, at least. Less so for me. I've never had any sort of surgery, except the removal of my wisdom teeth before I left for college. That involved local anesthesia and laughing gas; I remember begin vaguely fascinated by the industrial crunching and grinding noises emanating from my own mouth. This is different, and I don't think I'll care to know what's going on as it's happening.

I'm not a great patient, either. Oh, I'm generally alright (perhaps a little talkative) with doctors and nurses...but on the homefront, I'm more of a Man-Cold kind of guy. My bride, who works from home, is so looking forward to the next few days.

But you know what? This is actually a penitential season, in which we strive to enter more fully into Jesus's suffering for us. This is an opportunity for me to grow in this regard -- to be still, to pray, to suck it up a bit in solidarity with the One who took nails for us.

Ask Jodi at Easter if I manage to pull it off. Much love and many blessings to you this Holy Week and Easter!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,