Book Break: Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves

This past Christmas, our church gave to all parish and visiting families a copy of Jason Evert's book Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves. I finished it this past week while recuperating, and it seems only right that on this tenth anniversary of the great man's passing, I offer a brief review and encourage family and friends to read it.

First, let me encourage you to read the Foreword and Introduction, as both share personal anecdotes that share what sort of man Pope John Paul II was, The first half of the book, then, is a condensed and easy-to-follow biography of Karol Wojytla from his boyhood in Poland to his death at the Vatican at age 85. Some years ago, on a long solo road trip, I had the pleasure of listening to an audiobook version of George Weigel's JPII biography, Witness to Hope -- Evert's book uses Weigel as one of several sources, and provides a great overview of the events and circumstances that shaped young Karol into Father Wotyla, then bishop, archbishop, pope, and saint. When I hear these stories, I can't help but be proud to be (half) Polish and Catholic.


The second half of the the book uses additional sources and anecdotes to outlines the "five loves" that inspired and sustained Pope John Paul II in his priestly ministry and personal holiness:

Last I looked, we still had a few copies of this book in the Gathering Space. If you didn't get one, let me know. It's a quick and enlightening read that is almost sure to inspire!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,