Headed to the Motherland!

Krakow, Poland
This time tomorrow, Gabe and I will be winding our way through security lines at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, preparing to embark on a pilgrimage to Poland to join Pope Francis and millions of other Catholics from around the world for World Youth Day. This will be Gabe's first flight, first international trip, and first World Youth Day; for me, it's my second overseas trip (Iceland being the first), one of my two or three longest flights (Iceland and Hawaii), and my second World Youth Day (2002 in Toronto with Pope John Paul II).

For me, it as also very much a journey to the Motherland. My mom is a Polish Catholic farm girl whose grandparents immigrated from Poland in the first half of the 20th century: the Galubenskis and Koczwaras. The Thorp clan is so diverse in its various bloodlines that Polish has always been the nationality I've identified most strongly with: it's the only foreign language I've heard older relatives speak, the one ethnic cuisine I've had older relatives cook and serve, the language I studied in college, and the only poetry I've ever taken the time to translate myself. Poland's history is deep, beautiful, tragic, and heroic. And even now, remarkably Catholic.

I am blessed to make this trip with a number of friends from here in Minnesota, and especially with Gabe, whose faith as a teen almost certainly surpasses my own. It is my hope that this trip deepens my own conversion and his, so we can be the men God has called us to be with courage, joy, and zeal.

I'm sure I'll post much more on this trip when we return. Pray for us and for our family and friends while we're away, and know of our prayers for you! St. John Paul II, St. Maximilian Kolbe, St. Faustina Kowalska -- all you great Polish saints and all you holy men and women -- pray for us!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,